Sunday, February 14, 2010

Now Run!

As I was spending some time this morning running on a treadmill, I was doing so while listening to music. One of the songs that came on during the rotation on my iPod was "On The Run". It got me to thinking that in this world of multi-tasking in which we live, all too often many of us are on the run for something, not knowing for certain just what it is we are chasing. Sadly, many in this life run and run after what ever it is they are chasing only to one day wake up and realize that we have been running in the wrong direction.

I then reminded myself what the writer of Hebrews wrote: "Since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (12:1) I often find myself wondering just why I am living in this day and in this time. Just what is it that I am to accomplish? All that I know for certain is that I simply have to keep running. I just have to set aside the stuff of this life and run the race.

The author continues: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at right hand of the throne of God." (12:2) I know that as long as I run with my eyes on Jesus, I am indeed running in the right direction. As those chosen to be part of the nation of Israel, we cannot allow ourselves to be bogged down by the stuff of this world. Sadly, some of us even allow ourselves to get bogged down by church stuff and we have missed the race. At some point, each of us needs to get off of the sidelines and RUN!!

Our reason for running should be twofold: 1) The day is coming when we will have to stand before the Great I Am and answer for our life and 2) I cannot allow the fact that Jesus Christ died on the cross so that I can continue in my sinful life.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment