Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The End?

“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” –Matthew 24:36

I have watched with a certain level of amusement a group that is proclaiming that the end is to occur this Saturday. I firs began to notice bumper stickers and t-shirts proclaiming May 21, 2011 to be the day that Jesus Christ will return to claim His people and God’s final judgment of earth will commence several months ago. These past few weeks, I have heard radio commercials that proclaim that May 21st is indeed that day. At the end of the commercial, you are directed to this group’s website and amazingly when you log on, a pop up window appears asking for donations.

I guess the obvious question that I have to ask this group that if indeed May 21st is the day, what would be your need for my money. My understanding of the rapture is the belief that all God’s people will be taken up and removed from the world in order that they will be saved from the great tumult and destruction that will occur during God’s final judgment of earth. So, if this coming Saturday is the day, what would be ones need for material gain?

I will admit that I am somewhat alarmed at the pace with which things appear to be accelerating. Jesus Christ tells His apostles that “Watch out that no one deceives you. Many will come in My name claiming ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many. When you hear of wars, and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.” –Mark 13:5-8

Is May 21st the end of the world? I have no idea and I have no intention of making plans that it is the end. This I do know for certain, we are one day closer to the end then we were yesterday. Have you made certain that you are right with God? Are you about doing His business for since we do not know the day or time of His return, the best thing that we can do is to make certain that we are doing His work in preparation for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment